Happiness is the easiest emotion to feel, the most difficult to define, and the hardest to create intentionally.
-Norman Cousins
Happiness is the criterion of excellence in the art of living.
-Eric Fromm
It is interesting how we spend so much time; expend so much energy trying to figure out what happiness is that we fail to see how how easily it can be achieved. The reason is simply because we are misguided in our search for happiness. We wrongly anchor happiness to external conditions or factors that we believe will make us happy. This is why we can be deeply unhappy even though we may “have it all” - wealth, power, health, a good family, etc because the truth is that happiness comes from within.
Many times when I am asked “how is it that you are so happy”, I can’t help but smile. The question in itself brings me a state of happiness. Lol! That is not to say that I am always chirpy in a bunny rabbit frame of mind neither have I magically transported myself to an utopic world free from the challenges and storms of life. Rather I found happiness in living, I found happiness in loving and I found happiness in truth. I came to my place of happiness from within.
Achieving happiness is a choice. We become happy by choosing, learning and living happy. As we consciously introduce new sets of positive outlook to life and practice them daily, happiness will begin to bloom within and wrap us in its warm glow becoming a permanent part of our emotional make up.
For most people, happiness isn’t something stumbled upon but an attitude that must be learnt.
“Like swimming, riding, writing, or playing golf, happiness can be learned.”
~Boris Sokoloff.
So for the many times I have been asked, listed below in no particular order of importance are a few tips on how I daily own the ‘I’ in happiness and make it mine, with the hope that it helps you find true and authentic happiness for yourself
Be true to self. You are responsible for your own happiness
Accept yourself. You are a unique expression of God’s perfection.
Celebrate yourself. There is nothing wrong with giving yourself a pat on the back. Keep in mind that feeling guilty defeats the purpose.
“Realize that true happiness lies within you. Waste no time and effort searching for peace and contentment and joy in the world outside. Remember that there is no happiness in having or in getting… Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself”.
-Og Mandino
“Did you ever see an unhappy horse? Did you ever see a bird that had the blues? One reason why birds and horses are not unhappy is because they are not trying to impress other birds and horses.”
-Dale Carnegie
Be charitable. Do something good for someone.
Be gracious. Sow compliments and reap a smile.
Be kind and polite. ‘Please’ ‘thank you’ and ‘well-done’ never killed anyone
“We learn the inner secret of happiness when we learn to direct our inner drives, our interest and our attention to something outside ourselves.”
-Ethel Perry Andrus
Be grateful. Gratitude can turn things around.
Be thankful. A thankful heart is a merry one.
Be content. Do not envy people who are happy but be happy for their happiness.
“Happiness does not consist in having what you want, but in wanting what you have.”
-Confucius
“I'm fulfilled in what I do...I never thought that a lot of money or fine clothes--the finer things in life--would make you happy. My happiness is to be filled in a spiritual sense.”
-Coretta Scott King
Learn to laugh at yourself first before anyone else can.
Each day do something you love, something new, something fun.
Surround yourself with happy people. Associate with happy people, and try to learn from them to be happy. Trust me, happiness is contagious.
“Happiness is a state of non-contradictory joy - a joy without penalty or guilt” – Ayn Rand
“It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.”
-Dalia Lama
Discover your purpose
Develop your talent
Acquire a new skill
Become a solution, not the problem
“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.”
-Aristotle
“If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy, and inspires your hopes.”
-Andrew Carnegie
“I'm fulfilled in what I do...I never thought that a lot of money or fine clothes--the finer things in life--would make you happy. My happiness is to be filled in a spiritual sense.”
-Coretta Scott King
Be positive
Expect to be happy. You deserve happiness
Watch your thoughts. Be mindful what you think
Mind your words. Be careful what you say, affirm or confess.
Laugh always and laugh hard
“A smile starts on the lips, a grin spreads to the eyes, a chuckle comes from the belly; but a good laugh bursts forth from the soul, Overflows, and bubbles all around.”
-Carolyn Birmingham
“Seven days without laughter makes one weak.”
-Mort Walker
Look forward to discovering a happier you as you follow and practice all of these happiness building tools.
Hello Happiness!… Send a mail to spicychrysalis@gmail.com to share your experience and learn more on how we can help you achieve your personal development goals.
SPICY Chrysalis - Speak. Positively. to Inspire. and Cause. to Yield!
May 2012

No comments:
Post a Comment